Your oral health can gradually slip if you don’t stay on top of it with optimum oral hygiene habits and maintain routine checkups at the dentist to verify there are no issues that need to be addressed. To determine if your gums, your smile foundation, are in good shape or if they need some help with a gum disease treatment, call A Downtown Dental Group at 808-797-3680 today.
At our Honolulu, HI dentist office, we have an on-site periodontist that specializes in examining and treating your gums to ensure they are healthy and a beautiful shade. We aim to provide comprehensive general dentistry and pretty much any other dental treatment that you and your loved ones would need under one roof so you don’t have to drive all over the island to get the quality care you deserve.
We know your schedule is hectic enough as it is, so we make booking a little bit simpler for you by opening a little earlier than some dentists do. You can come to see us as early as 7:40 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. You can also book with us on Saturdays between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
For your financial convenience, we accept many payment methods, including third-party financing (that is handled externally) from CareCredit and Compassionate Finance. We also accept flexible payment options through our own in-house financing.
Let Us Restore Your Smile Health With Gum Disease Treatment
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, typically results when bad bacteria gets in between your gumline and your tooth roots and causes irritation, inflammation, tooth decay, and other problems.
Gum disease begins as something called gingivitis. At this point, the issue is easily reversible with improved oral hygiene and professional treatment, but often, there is little to no discomfort so many patients remain unaware of their gingivitis.
If left untreated, gingivitis can turn into periodontitis, an affliction that can range from the mild to the severe. Like gingivitis, periodontitis in its less severe forms can be reversed, but the problems can quickly become more difficult to address. Unchecked, periodontitis can even lead to tooth loss and the destruction of some of your gum tissue, as well as more severe concerns.
So you can keep an eye out for gum health issues, you should be aware of some of the most common symptoms of periodontal disease, including:
- Gums that bleed easily, especially after flossing or brushing your teeth
- Swollen, red, and/or sore gums
- Chronic and/or bad breath with no obvious cause
- Adult teeth that feel loose for no clear reason
- A gumline that has started to recede from your tooth roots, leaving them exposed
- Certain teeth that are sensitive to hot or cold foods and drinks
- Feeling as though your upper and lower jaw are not coming together correctly as they usually do
If we determine that you do have gum disease, we will get to work fixing the problem as quickly as possible. If we catch it early, you may be able to get your gums back in good health with a simple and quick treatment from our state-of-the-art soft-tissue dental laser. This treatment has many perks because it:
- Is virtually painless
- Heals very quickly
- Helps to tighten your gums around your teeth so bad bacteria won’t be able to easily get underneath your gumline again
- May even help you look a little bit younger
If you require a more rigorous treatment, our on-site periodontist will determine the best approach for your particular case. For more severe cases, we may refer you to a specialist for LANAP laser gum surgery.
Once your gum disease has been treated, we’ll also give you our professional advice on how to keep the problem at bay and your smile healthy. If you’re not already, you should maintain the following optimum oral hygiene habits:
- Brushing at least twice a day for two minutes at a time using a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste
- Flossing between each of your teeth once a day
- Swishing your mouth with an American Dental Association approved mouthwash or rinse if desired or recommended
- Visiting your dentist for regular dental cleanings and exams every six months
If you have any questions about your gums or any other part of your oral health, just let us know!
For a gum disease treatment that will improve the overall health of your smile, call A Downtown Dental Group at 808-797-3680. You can also swing by our Honolulu, HI dentist office in person during our normal business hours or use our handy online form to book a visit with us.